Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hazing Week

I'm finally done with a very hard week. P has been traveling for work this week, so it's been just me and the kids all week long. I am such a wimp in the face of others who have spouses gone for months at a time. I have no idea how they make do without them. I'm sure that the personal challenges that come with being pregnant don't make it easier, but even the lack of P's company was a burden. Just a voice that didn't sound like Mickey Mouse would have been a nice change this week.

I found out Monday morning that P would be leaving Tuesday before dawn. There was no time to prepare, no time for a trip to the grocery store to plan quick 'n' easy meals. For some reason this was a very big deal to me. I may have cried a little bit. I needed to find a way to make the week easier. So, I ordered some dinners from a company in our area that will pre-assemble meals for you to take home and put in your freezer. It was a lot of money, really, but much cheaper than eating out (which would have been impossible anyway) and more nutritious than eating brats every day this week. I only used one of the four meals I bought in the end, but I think the psychological benefit was worth it.

I love my children, I enjoy their company, but there is something refreshing about having Daddy at home in the evenings. P helps out a bit with the household chores and it is easy to underestimate the benefit I receive from it. Just this morning, P scrambled some eggs for the kids and made me some french toast. While I was eating and helping Anna with her breakfast, he was putting dishes in the washer. Yesterday, I would have had to do that ALL MYSELF.

Aside from these wonderful perks, having P here gives the kids someone to talk to that ISN'T ME. Bless their hearts, but my babies love to talk. They have so much to say and so many questions to ask. While I usually enjoy this aspect of their personalities it can be too much for anyone to handle unassisted. There was no other conversation apart from Anna and Thomas, but Lord, there was plenty to be had.

Anyway, it's over for now and I can return to laying on the couch and moaning about my gestating misery. But now that my first trimester is ending even that my be coming to a close. Who knows? Maybe next week will find me able to accomplish such grand and noble feats like vacuuming upstairs or folding some laundry! With P home, there is no end to my optimism.

No comments: