Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sick Little Bunnies

It seems like it's going to be a slow, lingering sort of autumn in the Casa De Sarah.

Henry's been under the weather all week. There's been a subtle, sort-of cold with a fever on Tuesday that has culminated into a croupy cough with a little wheezing today. Croup. Ack. Remember that? We kept him outside, bundled in the cold, and now he seems improved, even if he's hacking a bit now and then.

The big news is that last night we sent Thomas and Anna for a visit with Grandma and Grandpa. Overnight they developed high fevers and coughs. I called an on-call nurse at our clinic and she said they most likely had H1N1. And that if it's possible at all we should keep them away from Henry.

They are going to stay with my parents another night and then tomorrow Peter and I are going to try to decide what steps we should take next. He hasn't given up hope that this is just a side effect of the FluMist vaccine they received Friday morning. I had thought so, too, but the nurse sounded absolutely confident over the phone that there was no way this was from the vaccine.

I just want them to get better. And I REALLY don't want Henry to get the flu.

Thomas had asked for a break from his math yesterday. I guess he's going to be getting a whole week off, with additional TV time as well. I guess the old adage holds true: "Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there... did you ask about starting them on Tamiflu? Since they had JUST gotten sick, it wouldn't have been too late, and the doctor probably would have prescribed, given the fact that they have a baby brother that is in a higher risk population. Don't know if it is too late at this point, but maybe worth a late-night phone call?? Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Me again. :)

From Flumist website:
http://www.flumist.com/Flumist-Side-Effects.aspx

side effects of flu mist include:

The most common side effects of FluMist in children and adults included runny nose or nasal congestion, sore throat, and fever.

Other side effects included chills, cough, decreased activity, decreased appetite, headaches, irritability, muscle aches, and tiredness/weakness


Hope that is all that's going on with you children. I think people are overassuming everything is H1N1. My son's school was sending kids home left and right all week for what people would normally consider colds. Anyway, it's my HOPE that people are just wrongly assuming H1N1. :) Good luck.

Angoraknitter said...

I thought the flumist would be contraindicated for your household because of Henrry? My husband got the mist last year when he should not have (because of my near total splenectomy..and I had a field day with the infection control doc at the clinic) and this year he knows to insist on the shot instead also because we have a new baby as well. I thought you weren't suppose t get the mist if you live with anyone under 2 or someone who was immunocompromised.
now i'm going to have to double check that...