Friday, July 24, 2009

Knitting Request

I have a request for the Knitters.

I have some leftover sock yarn--about 40 grams--and I would like to use it to knit my Anna a pair of socks. I think that the best way to ensure that I leave enough yarn after the first sock would be to knit the socks toe-up. That way I just knit the foot and make the leg bit as long as I can before the ball of leftover yarn weighs 20 grams.

I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations as to which toe-up sock patterns you've had the best luck with, specifically for children. I've never done toe-up before and I'm eager to try!

Thanks for the help.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I have only made one pair of toe-up socks (actually, to be honest I have only made two-thirds of a pair of toe-up socks, because I have a big snarl to untangle before I can continue to the heel of the second sock), and it was the Knitty Azure pattern. Thumbs up on the pattern, but now that I am typing this comment I am wondering how much hassle it would be to scale down for a child. It has useful info about casting on and doing the heel, even if you go in another direction.

Angoraknitter said...

I just figure 8 cast on and eyeball the length...maybe 14-16 stiches, then increase every other round till it looks wide enough to fit over the ball of the foot. (write down your pattern for the first sock as you go, so you an be exact when you duplicate the second sock).

Then keep knitting till it's time to start the heal...try it on her and you'll know it's time when the sock is just at the begining of the heal of the foot.

Then do the heal pattern bit, taking the bottom half of the stitches and tappering it off till about 8-10 stitches, then picking them back up again as you round out the heal..then join them all together again and finish up into the ankle.

If I have a limited amount of yarn, just unwind the skein (wrap it around a table or chair, count the times it goes around, then divide the skein in half, and you'll have two balls of yarn, one for each sock...and then you'll be sure to have equal lengths for each one, which can help you determine when you've knit high enough on the ankle.